Saturday, January 15, 2011

Volcan Agua MTB expedition...


On thursday, Mariah and I decided to make the best of this upcoming weekend. After double checking the schedule for the few days ahead, and seeing a clear schedule, we decided to get the wheel rolling on a long anticipated MTB trip. The trip up Volcan Agua was a longer one (28km)...but not the longest (38km) of the trips available, so not knowing anything about the riding in Guate, we decided this would be the best call.

We woke up early as all-get-out, and packed everything that we could need into single pack. Cookies, dried fruit, at least 3 liters of water, pita, a full complement of tools and a camera....some more granola bars in the jersey for easy access.

We trudged over to Oldtown Outfitters to get introduced to our guide and the bikes. I threw my pedals on the bike they had picked out for me, then shed my civies down to spandex. I was going to be riding an old beat Kona Caldera, with mech disk brakes and an older LX drivetrain. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the tune...although everything else about the bike was bizarre. The handlebar seemed like it was from a trials bike, they were wider than any bars I have ever used in my life. The balance on the bike was really weird too...every time I would stand, the rear tire would break loose. The tires were worn and over inflated...I was about to let some air out, but the guide stopped me. He told me there were too many rocks on the trail... "necesita mas presion".

The terrain was mixed, starting out on the road. The ride started with an solid hour long climb out of the valley on switchback climbs. I took it nice and easy so the climb was relatively easy, but the climb nearly killed some people (the guide included)...


Then we climbed some more...and took some pictures.


We rolled up past a Big Cross, and headed through a pueblo/garbage dump. Kids, dogs, trucks full of campesinos and young men lugging vats of pesticides littered the landscape. In regard to the trails...if it wasn't rocky, it was sandy...really sandy. If the sand seemed hardpacked, it was because it was actually garbage or rock, but anyways it was alot of fun to get back on the bike. I almost crashed once and I was dabbing all over the place...all in all a great way to spend an morning.






No comments:

Post a Comment