Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Adventure Begins, part two


My first post from Antigua implies the existence of a part two to follow, but it already seems so long ago. So much so that I wanted to skip this entire story altogether. Instead, to make a long story short, the problems began because I checked into both my flights late. After doing so, I found out that in both cases, they had been shifted earlier. This created complications I needed twice as much time to figure things out, yet I had only half the time to do it.

TACA air noticed that my return ticket extended beyond 90 days, which meant that I technically needed an actual visa, not the basic entry visa. As a result, they would not print a boarding pass until I was cleared to fly by Guatemalan Immigration. This only took 10 minutes, throughout which I was terrified. Luckily, I was approved, and I had to pass through security again, making it to my flight with 20 minutes to spare. It could have been a lot worse. Lesson: check into flight 24h in advance. Also airport food is worse and more expensive than my high school cafeteria, it is terrible.

Currently, time is flying. Ask me anytime during the day, I probably wouldn’t be able to tell you the date. It’s only at night and in the morning that time slows to a comprehensible speed. Sleep feels so brief; it might as well not exist, as it does little to halt the charge of time. It feels on the verge of being out of control. I cant walk down the street, or sit down for more than half an hour without running, bumping, meeting, seeing, chatting and leaving other people. Then – I got smacked around with I two hour dose of Spanish class, cara-a-cara. I thought it went well, but my lesson was primarily review, so I have an inkling feeling that I might get pwned in a few weeks. Only time will tell.

On a lighter note, I’ve built up the courage to bring my camera out to the camera during class and to the bars at night. These eight photos sum up the day pretty well. Class… more class… hang out talking…more of the same…admire beautiful Antigua x2…drink beers, until the night winds down.








2 comments:

  1. i have eaten some delicious meats and whatnot in that nice little square. delicious.
    have fun mark ... enjoy it. it is going to go fast fast so grab it with your cookie devouring hands and choke the crap out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I hope. I HOPE. that you run into a wandering street dance party. You will know what it is when you see it. When you do, let me know ... coolest. thing. ever.

    ReplyDelete