Sunday, January 23, 2011

La Ruta de Yalu


Another week in the books. Here are some highlights...

Last minute plans started coming together for Saturday. After a run in the AM, mariah and I headed to the parque. After half an hour, we knew that we wanted to go zip-lining, but getting there was another matter. Ends up - I needed a lot more cash, so I had to run home to make a withdrawal. I took some pictures on the way...

We had a good experience with Alex at Libertad de Viajar (liberty to travel), so decided to rent a shuttle for the afternoon. This was nice because the last time we were in a shuttle, there were 15 people, this time there were only 11 (man behind camera too). It was a lot more comfortable...


On the way to the finca, we stopped at the side of the road to take in the spectacular views. Peering into the valley, I could barely see the bottom, a awesome sight that was hard to capture...


After a few wrong turns, and stopping to ask for direction...we made it to the finca! Driving through the rural communities brought us very close to the real levels of poverty, and made a strong impact on myself and others. I could only take pictures of the buildings...didn't feel right taking pictures of the locals as our private shuttle slowly sputtered through town. Upon arrival, we got suited up to go zip-lining...


Ziplining was pretty awesome...no one died...and we all had a blast. we had to hike for bout 15 minutes to get to the top of the hillside, and it had 5 different lines to get back to the valley. After we mad it down safe and sound, we sat in the wonderful grass, did cartwheels and headstands and explored the finca...

a tiny church...

lounging in the grass...

coffee drying in the sun...

So we drove back, in what felt like half of the time. As soon as I got back, we all went our separate ways, and I headed to the north end of town to help paint Libbys' guitar.


After I left to grab some dinner, it ends up that some local kids joined in on the painting...I saw the guitar later that night, I was pretty impressed by the kids handiwork.

now...settling down into an afternoon of work and studies, until next time!


1 comment:

  1. This reminded me, if you bring me anything back (and I definitely don't expect you to!) local coffee beans, GREEN/un-roasted would be AWESOME. I'm not sure if they let you take them out of the country or if there are specific trade laws on coffee...

    ReplyDelete